Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Support me fully, says Malaysian PM

Support me fully, says Malaysian PM

Kuala Lumpur, (PTI), Dec. 18, 2007 1430 hrs.: Malaysian Prime Minister, Abdullah Badawi, has urged countrymen to give him full support, saying this gave him a greater sense of responsibility to strive hard to ensure prosperity, harmony and development without leaving out any group.

Abdullah's statement came in the wake of a series of protests, including those by Hindu Rights Action Force (Hindraf) against alleged marginalisation of ethnic Indians in the country.

"When people express their support, I feel my responsibility is greater. I feel I have to have greater determination, have to work harder. I will not disappoint the people," Abdullah said at a dinner congregation here Monday evening, a media report said on Tuesday.

"I do not want to disappoint you. If I have to work hard, I will work hard for you and the future of the country," Abdullah said, adding he was pleased that the majority of the people did not want any disturbance including street protests to ruin their business and upset their daily life.

"I value the relationship among Malaysians. I value the multi-ethnicity in the country. This is what gives hope for the future of the country," he said.

He said that at Cabinet-level, decisions were made on consensus and that if there was disagreement, the discussions would continue until everyone concurred. "Only then, can we achieve progress," he said.

Meanwhile, Deputy Premier, Najib Tun Razak, said the Government could not allow "destructive elements" to jeopardise the racial unity which had been carefully nurtured by Malaysia's founding fathers.

He felt this would be a betrayal to those who had helped to shape Malaysia into the prosperous and peaceful country it is today.

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/001200712181434.htm

No comments: